Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Snip

There is a question in my mind that I haven’t been able to silence lately after reading some blogs & following some tweets on twitter and that is Why do Wives/Girlfriends ask their Husband’s/Boyfriend’s to get the snip and don’t get the snip themselves?

Do some Wives/Girlfriends feel that because they carried the child (ren) for 9 months in their womb then it’s only fair their Husband/Boyfriend gets the cut? 

My thoughts on this question is ok ladies have carried the child for 9 months but during them 9 months the husband/boyfriend has put up with our strange food cravings at all times of day and night, have put up with us rolling around in bed trying to get comfortable, have heard us whinge about feeling like a beached whale or that. Some husbands/boyfriends have even had the morning sickness and birth pains for their wives.

Also I have seen some marriages last well into when the child(ren) are in their teens and the dissolve for whatever reason yet the partner has gone off and had the big snip meaning that his chances of starting a family with someone new are all that much smaller. While the wife/girlfriend if she chooses a new partner and they want a family they can have one as she didn’t get the snip.

Personally I would never ask my partner to get the cut unless I was prepared to get it done as well, as family is joint effort then as far as I’m concerned the snip should be a joint effort as well.

I know there are sometimes other medical reasons for getting the snip but for now I just want to understand why it’s only one partner that gets the snip and not both and yes I’m aware that money plays a big part in the answer but if you are both thinking about the snip why can’t the money be saved up for both to get it done?

Yes I’m aware this blog is not written like a writer or journalist but at the moment I’m neither of these things so you will have to take this blog the way it is. 

Can’t wait till I hear my readers thoughts and please remember everyone has their own thoughts on this subject and also has feelings so healthy debates will be published nasty ones will not be.

8 comments:

  1. I think it's because the male "snip" is a day surgery thing, usually with just a local anaesthetic, while a woman has to be in hospital longer under a general anaesthetic.
    We agreed that I would be the one to get snipped, so that I wouldn't have to keep taking the pill, also because my varicose veins were so bad, the legs were black from bruising with the last baby. We eventually divorced, at which time I discovered his girlfriend was 5 months pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. If I may ask are you sorry you got it done when you both divorced, did you want to have more kids with someone else after your divorce? I don't mean right away after your divorce but after some time

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. the vasectomy is day surgery wheras the tubal ligation is longer and more complicated and requires more time in hospital. My husband will be getting the snip because I gave birth and it's part of the family planning that he CAN do. I don't see the point in us both getting done because I don't plan on sleeping with anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. here is another viewpoint, my parents: They both got the snip and dad's reasoning was that they both were happy with their three children and even if they split in the future they both decided that their three children were all they were going to have. They have divorced and don't regret the three children they already have.
    I remember visiting my mum in hospital after she had her tubes done too.
    Frankly I'm bloody glad my dad had the snip because he was shagging everyone in town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if there are more people like your parents & me that feel the same way about the snip. I'm starting to think maybe there isn't.

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my husband doesn't even like the idea of giving a dog the snip--relax, we don't have any pets or that would be a real problem! So, I am not holding any hopes of him having it done. But if I had my druthers, I'd like him to get it done, because as the others have said the procedure for a bloke would be less invasive than for us girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes...I haven't thought about this yet and neither has hubby. We've mentioned it in passing but I'm not sure we're ready yet.

    Great post though, very thought-provoking!

    Happy week and see you on twitter!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete